See- Full story at 



by Clifford Olson


It was top of the line for Clifford Robert Olson when it came to office stationery and business cards. When he ordered, he ordered nothing but the best; trouble is, he never paid for them. New Westminster printer Victor Goodmurphy was left with hundreds of costly souvenirs and the memory of a man who looked more like a Kingsway car-lot dealer than a multiple murderer. Goodmurphy remembers Olson as a fast-talker who could be both charming and smooth tongued when trying to impress people. he would dress in loud custom suits set off with blue and pink silk shirts and would smoke only top of the line cigars. Olson, claiming he owned a construction firm ordered envelopes and letter heads on the best quality watermark paper that goodmurphy had in stock. He also bought $156.00 worth of plastic laminated three-dimensional goldleaf business cards touting two construction firms, Hale and Olson Construction and Hale and Olson Enterprise Ltd. As $45.00 per hundered the total charge was $635.00. Olson offered to put a deposit on the order and brought out his wallet which was stuffed with hundred dollar bills. "I never took a deposit from him," said Goodmurphy, "he said he was going to Richmond and would pick the order up later." Goodmurphy's shop was only a few doors away from the New Westmiinster Manpower office where fifteen year old Raymond King Jr. was last seen the previous week. Two days later on July 30, 1981 Olson coerced 17 year old Louise Chartrand from Maple Ridge, British Columbia into accompanying him to Whistler Mountain. On August 27, 1981 the R.C.M.P. with the help of Olson, unearthed Chartrand's decomposed body which had evidence of massive skull fractures.

Olson was a braggart, a liar and a thief. He was not a violent man nor had he a temper. He would never back down from a challenge and he would always stick up for the underdog in just about any situation. Clifford Olson some say had a Jekyll and Hyde personality who posed as a happy family man and a devout church goer, but in reality no one could see the monster ready to be let loose once he started drinking.

In his fourty-two years of misspent life, Olson compiled a long list of crimes which kept him behind bars for the best part of nearly thirty years. To cap off his long record he exploded in one of the most shocking string of murders ever witnessed in Canadian history. Looking over his record one wonders why he was let out of jail so often for good behavior only to go straight back to crime. Why was his potential for murder not spotted during the many times he was interviewed by social workers, classification officers, medical officials and prison staff? Olson started as a petty thief and graduated from the Canadian prison system as a prolific killer.

One characteristic mentioned most by people who knew Olson was his compulsion to talk. He definitely had the gift to gab. His constant talking which he used most effectively usually got him his own way in most matters. One of the R.C.M.P. officers, Constable Jim Hunter of the Squamish detachment stated "I can well understand wy those kids got into a car with him, he really had the gift of the gab."

Olson received his first publicity the day he was born which was January the first 1940 at 10:10pm in St. Paul's Hospital to Clifford and Leona Olson. Young Clifford was not born early enough in the day to win the big prizes which consisted of a silver spoon and a case of canned milk but his parents were presented with a baby book and a dainty gift from Cunningham Drug Stores. At a later date Olson would rob from Cunningham's, the very store that presented him with the New Year's gifts. Olson was the first-born of a family which soon increased to give Clifford two brothers, Denis and Richard and a sister Sharon. In 1945 the family moved from Edmonton, Alberta to Richmond, British Columbia where Olson started elementary school. Olson senior with his growing family bought a small one-story house on 1029 Gilmore Crescent, in a 80 home community built by the government for its servicemen after World War II.

Growing up near the north arm of the Fraser River Olson quickly eared a repuation as a bit of a con artist, a trait that would stick with him for the rest of his life. According to the Cambie Junior High School, Olson left his studies in 1956 for six months to work at the Old Landsdown race track which today is a large shopping mall. While growing up in Richmond Olson boxed in his spare time and had some success at it. Olson quit school and at the young age of 17 entered another school for nine months, New Haven Borstal Correctional Cenre in Burnaby, for breaking and entering. Olson soon escaped from New Haven and stole a power boat from Richmond but he was soon recaptured and sent to Haney Correctional Centre. If someone at this point in Olson's life could have sent him down the right path and not to follow the path to prisonmaybe Olson could have ended up leading a different life. And maybe those eleven victims might not have ended up as Olson's victims.

While serving time at the Old B.C. Penitentiary for breaking and entering, Olson pulled a fast scam while working in the hospital. Olson put a little blood in his urinal which got him a trip to the hospital where he soon escaped custody. When he escaped this time his family were already giving up on him. During an interview with the local paper when Olson had escaped from Shaughnessy Hospital, they had appealed to him to give himself up. "He knows what he's facing, he might have to serve 10 years," said Olson Sr. who had just moved his family to a new home in Richmond. "If he doesn't give himself up, I hope they get him before he does somethign really bad. He's done bad enough now."

Looking back on Olson's long years spent in prison one notices that he was one inmate who was constantly brewing up a way to escape. In total Olson would escape 7 times, only to have more time tacked on his sentence. Olson's many years in prison were not all easy time, one time in particular he had to be put in protective custody for testifying against one Gary marcoux. Marcoux was a two time loser serving time on two rape charges when Olson testified against him on what he knew about the rape and murder of a nine year old girl named Jeanny Dove. Olson's testimony resulted in Marcoux receiving a lifew sentence for the murder of Jeanny Dove.

Olson, in spite of his many years in prison paid a sentimental visit to the Old B.C. Penitentiary when it was opened to the public for a last look before closing down in 1981. Unfortunately for Olson this one last look at one of his old homes cost him his freedom. Olson trooped into the 102 year old building with thousands of other sightseers for a prison tour, unaware there was a Canada-wide warrant out for his arrest. So when he peeked into the cell which had been his home for several years, he was recognized by one of his former guards and was quickly arrested by the New Westminster city police. Olson had last been in the B.C. Pen serving four years and nine months for a variety of offenses including theft, forgery and false pretences. His nostalgic return to the Old B.C. Pen cost Olson another month in the Matsqui before his sentence finally expired.

When Olson was once again free to walk the streets he headed immediately to his old stomping grounds, the outer municipalities of Richmond-Surrey. He rented an apartment at the New Surrey Village Apartments at 9835 King George Highway, only seven blocks from where one of his first victims, Christine Weller lived. According to Gwen Meister, manager of the Surrey Village, Olson was then living with Joan Hale the woman he later married. Meister said Olson rented at the Surrey Village from August 1980 until the latter part of January 1981. Meister said he gave no notice when he vacated the suite and she later heard he was in jail, she was right. Olson was in custody from January 8th to May on a charge of rape that was brought against him by a Surrey prostitute. The charge was later stayed because the girl was not a reliable witness and she failed to appear in court. This was the first time Olson has ever been charged with a sex crime. When Olson was let out he immediately went looking for the girl who had brought the phoney rape charge against him; and if he had found her she would surely be dead today.

Olson married Joan Hale at the People's Gospel in Surrey on May 15, 1981 and shortly after Joan gave birth to their son. Olson often attended church and he was more than an erudite scholar, being extremely learned of the Bible. After Olson was released from Oakalla prison the couple left Surrey and moved to 675 Whiting Way in Coquitlam. This two storey building is also where Olson's lived and managed. 675 Whiting Way being an adult only apartment was soon without Clifford and Joan when the baby was born. They moved around the corner into a modest apartment at 521 Foster Ave to set up household. Debbie Campbell who lived with her two youngsters in the apartment under the Olson's said, "He was good with all the little kids in the complex, giving them candy and things, some of the kids had not many toys but Olson would bring all new toys to the kids she said." One time a girl from the area was missing and he offered to drive around looking for her. Olson was constantly hustling the girls in the neighbourhood but he didn't appear to do anything.

On August 12, 1981 Olson's murderous escapades were uncovered. Olson was arrested while driving a rented car near Port Alberni on Vancouver Island by the R.C.M.P. for an alleged driving offenses. He was taken to the mainland on August 14 and appeared in Burnaby provincial court on two counts of breaking and entering. The R.C.M.P. started intense interrogation of Olson about a string of unsolved murders in the area with which they suspected he was in some way involved. It culminated in the most shocking murder spree in Canadian history.

During nine months Olson killed at least 11 youngsters of both sexes ranging in age from 9 to 18. His killing spree not only stands as the most shocking in Canadian history but also as the most sorrowful one because of the number of victims involved and their ages. In one month alone, July 1981, six children were abducted, drugged and believed sexually used and then murdered in the most brutal way. Scores of interviews and hours of research have shown that the R.C.M.P. had Olson marked down as a suspect as a very early stage. According to one R.C.M.P. officer they had Olson as a murder suspect in the abduction of his first victim, twelve year old Christine Weller well before her body was even found.

Olson with his average intelligence was able to outwit the best brains of the famed Royal Canadian Mounted Police for the better part of nine months. He never received any Psychiatric treatment of any kind behind bars during his many stays in various prisons and the drastic deterioration of his personality never seemed to disturb any of the staff. This was because the hardened criminal became extremely adept at manipulating the prison system, and also because the prison system wasn't set up to change people like Olson. Prison was simply a place to house him until his sentence expired, whereupon he could be released onto the unsuspecting public. One just has to read what the honourable David Daubney M.P. chairman of The Standing Committee on justice with regards to the prisons in Canada. He found them a disgusting depressing school for crime instead of places of rehabilitation; our prisons are regarded as warehouses. A psychiatric assessment of Olson in prison would likely have saved the eleven lives he snuffed out between 1980 to 1981. The following is a list of Olson's victims including their profiles and causes of death.

Christine Weller - Twelve year old Christine was found murdered in Richmond on December 25, 1980. She was stabbed to death on November 19, 1980. Weller was driven to an area of Richmond where she was murdered by multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen. She suffered 10 stab wounds to the chest and abdomen and two superficial slashes in the neck. She had a double perforation of the right ventricle of the heart, and four penetrating wounds in the liver.

Colleen Daignault - Thirteen year old Daignault was murdered on April 15, 1981 in South Surrey near 144th Street and 26th Avenue. The deceased was picked up in Surrey and driven to a remote area of South Surrey where she was attacked and murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head. Actual cause of death was two depressed fractures of the occipital region of the skull.

Daryn Johnsrude - Johnsrude was sixteen when he was murdered on April 21, 1981 in Deroche. The deceased waspicked up in New Westminster and driven to the Deroche where he was murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head. Cause of death was comminuted skull fracture with right subdural haemorrhage left haemothorax.

Sandra Lynn Wolfsteiner - Sixteen year old Wolfsteiner was murdered May 19, 1981 in the Chilliwack Lake area. The deceased was picked up at the bos stop in Surrey and driven to a remote area on the Chilliwack Lake Road where she was murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head. Few skeletal remains were found and cause of death was determined to be head injuries.

Ada Anita Court - Ada was thirteen years old when she was murdered on June 21, 1981 at Weaver Lake Road. The deceased was picked up while walking on North Road in Coquitlam and driven to a remote area near Weaver Lake where she was murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head. Skeletal remains with several depressed skull fractures were found.

Simon Patrick James Partington - Partington was nine years old when he was murdered on July 2nd, 1981 on River Road-Nelson Avenue in Richmond. The deceased was picked up two blocks fromhis home in Surrey and given a ride. During the course of the ride he was taken to a remote area of Richmond, given a couple bottles of beer and then strangled.

July Kozma - Kozma was fourteen when she was murdered on July 9th, 1981 near Weaver Lake. The deceased was picked up in New Westminster and driven to a remote area near Weaver Lake where she was murdered by multiple stab wounds.

Raymond Lawrence King Jr. - King was fifteen when he was murdered on July 23, 1981 near Weaver Lake. The deceased was picked up at the bus depot after leaving the manpower office in New Westminster and driven to a remote area near Weaver Lake. He was thrown down an embankment and murdered while unconscious by rock blows to the head.

Sigrun Charlotte Elisabeth Arnd - Arnd was eighteen when she was murdered on July 24, 1981 at a remote area North of River Road in Richmond. The deceased was picked up in Coquitlam and driven to a remote area of Richmond where she was murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head and then thrown into a ditch with water to be buried. The cause of death was massive head injuries.

Terry Lyn Carson - Carson was fifteen when she was murdered on July 27, 1981 in a remote area east of Chilliwack. The deceased was picked up on 108th Avenue bus stop and driven to a remote area past Chilliwack where she was murdered by strangulation.

Louise Simonne Marie Evelyn Chartrand - Chartrand was seventeen when she was murdered on July 30, 1981 near Whistler B.C. The deceased was picked up walking to work in Maple Ridge B.C. and driven to the Whistler area where she was murdered by repeated hammer blows to the head. Her decomposed body was found with evidence of massive skull fractures.

The above facts show Olson preyed on the very young by gaining their friendship and then taking them to a remote part of B.C. where he murdered them by either strangulation, stabbing or bashing their heads open with a hammer.

Olson's crime sprees lasted from November 1980 to August 1981 until he was arrested in Ucluelet in the Vancouver Island area with two female hitch-hikers in his car. He was at the time under surveillance and arrested when it was thought the two female hitchhikers were in danger. In Olson's car at the time of his arrest was found a notebook with Judy Kozmas' name in it. He was held without bail in Burnaby on two charges of burglary, which he had committed while under surveillance by the R.C.M.P. between August 6th and the 12th, 1981. Later Olson was charged with eleven counts of first degree murder to which he pled guilty. The recovery of the bodies from such remote and isolated areas would have been virtually impossible without the active free cooperation of Olson. The means used by the R.C.M.P. to gain the cooperation of Olson in recovering the eleven bodies was a cash for corpse deal whereby $100,000.00 was paid to a trust fund for the benefit of Olson's wife and son. Olson's Modus Operandi in all eleven murders was to entice the victims into his car with the spurious offer of work at ten dollars an hour, and included the use of alcohol and a drug called chloral hydrate which when mixed confused and overcame his victims.

Submitted with this profile is an affidavit of Robert D. Shantz, Olson's lawyer of what took place on or about the 16th day of August, 1981 in a telephone conversation with Inspector Larry Proke, O/C of the Serious Crime Section of the R.C.M.P. with regards to a deal whereby the R.C.M.P. was prepared to pay $100,000.00 for the recovery of the childrens bodies. The copies of the original trust deed for the $100,000.00 is also attached with letters dated February 5th, 1982 addressed to the then Honourable Robert Kaplan, M.P. Solicitor General of Canada and also the same letter dated February 5th, 1982 to the then Honourable Alan William, M.L.A. The Attorney General of British Columbia.

Locked up with Olson in that great limestone prison in Kingston are a whole series of unanswered questions. How many other children had Olson drugged and murdered? Is Olson keeping quiet about these other murders to use at a later date as a bargaining tool? Would Olson have shown the R.C.M.P. where more bodies were buried if they had been allowed to offer him more money? Both the Mounties and B.C. Attorney-General Williams admitted that Olson came up with another cash for bidies deal in the fall of 1981. The Mounties said the offer was rejected because they were acting under a policy directive from the attorney general, not to have any further cash talks with Olson. When assistant R.C.M.P. Commissioner Don Wilson was asked by the Vancouver Sun whether he believed Olson could provide them with more bodies, "the short answer is yes." said Wilson. They, the R.C.M.P., had factual evidence upon which such a matter could be considered. Did Olson kill more kids? The R.C.M.P. believe that Olson is responsible or has information on several of the Highway Murders, a gruesome series of unsolved sex slayings in British Columbia's Interior and and Alberta Rockies.

A young woman named Pamela in fact was listed amongst the victims of the Highway Murders. Her full name was Pamela Lorraine Darlington and her stripped, raped and sexually mutilated body was found floating face down November 1973 in the Thompson River at Kamloops, British Columbia. At least 14 young women were murdered between 1972 and 1981 on the Trans-Canada Yellowhead or roads feeding into these main highways over the beautiful Canadian Rockies. The body of a 15th victim, Monica Jack, a twelve year old Indian girl who was bicycling home on a country road when she went missing, was never found. All these women were fresh-faced, innocent looking girls with young petite bodies that appealed to Olson. Many were sexually used and all were hitch-hiking.

The R.C.M.P. believe that Olson has the knowledge of 17 women and 6 young girls who were murdered in between the highway of Kamloops and Banff. The R.C.M.P. believe they were all murdered while hitch-hiking. There were other murders, not included inthe Highway Murders which the R.C.m.P. believe bore the clear imprint of an Olson killing. The body of one of these girls, 17 year old Verna Bjerky from the tiny Fraser Canyon community of Yale, B.C. was never found. Verna was working the night-shift as a waitress at the Godfater, a steak and pizza restaurant in Hope, B.C. when she went missing. Yale is about 15 miles from Hope and Verna, who didn't have a car, often got off work very late. So instead of waking up her family when she came home she frequently stayed at a friends house. Verna disappeared on May 2, 1981 while hitch-hiking from Hope. Yale, being a close-knit community, Verna's mother and father were able to mount a massive community search.

On October 9, 1981 more than five months after Verna went missing, soem personal articles of Verna's were found in what police call an area of mountain, bust and river beside Highway 7, just three miles weast of Hope B.C. where Clifford liked to take many of his victims along this same highway before turning off into the bush and murdering them. Superintendent Larry Poke of R.C.M.P. believed the killing of Verna had all the trademarks of an Olson murder - a young attractive girl, hitch-hiking in one of Olson's favorite stopping off points, and it was just Olson's style to scatter his victim's personal effects in remote bush to confuse investigators.

Another slaying which the R.C.M.P. said had the stamp of Olson was that of Mary Ellen Jamieson who disappeared on August 7th, 1980 on the beautiful Sunshine Coast just north of Vancouver city. The pretty, blue eyed, blonde was last seen hitch-hiking on Highway 101 at Davis Bay on Vancouver Island. Mary was on her way home after having dinner with her boyfriend, 18 year old Adrian Dixon in Sechelt. She was hitch-hiking because there was no bus service and her only alternative would be a $15.00 cab fare or ride with family or friends. Her family knew something was terribly wrong when she did not return home by 11p.m. Her body was found nine days later by three family friends off a logging road near the bay, about 12 miles from her home. R.C.M.P. and searchers had been down the road before and there was nothing that could be seen from a car. But a 17 year old named Todd Redman had a feeling this was the spot. They stopped the car and he grabbed a shovel and started digging in the gravel alongside the road. Even though there were no signs that the ground had been disturbed, the youth was convinced that Marney was there. She was lying fully clothed with bruise marks around her neck where she had been strangled. Clifford Olson knew the Vancouver area like the back of his hand and threeof his known victims had been strangled. He also liked to leave his victims like Marney on backroads.

The horror never really ended for the parents of the eleven kids Olson murdered. They suffered through the anguish of waiting for their children to return and living with the truth that they never would. Most of the victims came from broken families where the parents had already been through ugly divorce proceedings or painful separations. The parents called for a full public inquiry and voiced their concerns to both the ex-Attorney General Allan Williams and to the British Columbia Chief Coroner Robert Galbraith. The parents said the R.C.M.P. was covering up and the facts as presently known raise so many questions, yet unanswered, that the parents feel can only be ascertained through a public inquest. Only through a public inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the nororious childrens deaths can recommendations be made to the police and others to try and prevent a similar even from ever happening in British Columbia. On June 4th, 1982 Coroner Alan Askey released his report on the murder of the eleven children. Despite a probe of more than three months, Askey appeared to do little more than simply reproduce the official R.C.M.P. version of events.

At first the families seemed stunned. But when they read more carefully the greater was their sense of betrayal. The families felt that everyone from the Federal Solicitor General Robert Kaplan to the then Attorney General Allan Williams to Coroner Askey himself was engaged in a coverup. Askey was billed as a tough and very outspoken veteran of the coroners service for the province of British Columbia. But his eight page Olson report was far from hard hitting. The parents called it whitewash. The parents charged that Askey gave the famed R.C.M.P. only a token slap on the wrist. Marguerite Partington, the mother of Olson's youngest victim said "There is no justice." For Brigitte Kozma, elder sister of murder victim Judy Kozma, she said "The only real justice would be the eye-for-an-eye of the Old Testament.

The families believe that the R.C.M.P. acted in a totally incompetent fashion throughout the whole investigation. As for the Askey investigation it was clear that it started out as on thing and ended up as quite another. Both Chief Coroner Galbraith and Askey promised that there would be an examination on whether any of the murders could have been prevented. It turned out the report virtually ignored what went wrong. It only talked about how to prevent furture murders and how to set things right in the future. The report said the cash for corpses deal was justified, but it failed to say why, other than, "The recovery of the bodies from such isolated and hidden locations would have been virtually impossible without the active cooperation of Clifford Olson, and the means used to gain cooperation were justified."

ive days before the release of the Askey report the victims families embarked on a press offensive. They realized they were not going to get satisfaction from the authorities without marshalling public support. They announced they would soon be starting legal action to retrieve the $100,000.00 bloodmoney from the trust fund set up as part of the R.C.M.P. cash for corpses deal with Olson. They demanded the resignation of Allan Williams and they planned to sue him along with Olson, his wife Joan and Jim McNeney, trustee of the fund and also Robert Shantz. They charged that Williams had offered but failed to provide free legal advice and had ignored their letters about their childrens deaths. The eight families also took legal action against Olson in the British Columbia Supreme Court.

In a writ filed April 19th, 1982 they sued Olson for damages in a seldom used provision of B.C.'s Family Compensation Act. The applications were heard on Thursday the 24th of March, 1983 before the Honourable Mr. Justice Paris of the B.C. Supreme Court. The court ordered the judgement be entered in default of the defence by Olson with damages to be assessed and also cost to be taxed. Too late, the families won but could not obtain any money because Olson had no money and didn't have any control over the trust fun, it existed completely independent of Olson. "Olson has never had, does not have, and will never have any direction over the trust fund" said Jim McNeney acting as trustee for the fund.

In the writ filed against Olson it turned out that Olson was prevented by the then Warden Andrew Graham of the Kingston Penitentiary from allowing Olson to use his personal money to file and mail documents to the B.C. Supreme Court in defence of the eight writs filed April 19th, 1982 against Olson by the eight families. After nine years Olson has now filed a federal court action in the city of Ottawa on February 20th, 1989 against the Correctional Service of Canada under the Canadian Charter of Freedoms, claiming they infringed or denied him his rights under a number of sections of the charter. Olson is claiming that the Correctional Service of Canada be ordered to pay the full amount of money that was ordered to be paid by Olson for the default judgements handed down by Justice Paris. This money would then be paid into the court to pay the parents that brought the legal action against Olson in the B.C. Supreme Court filed April 19th, 1982.

There were six families that were awarded the default judgement as two families withdrew their actions. The victims' parents awarded are Mr. and Mrs. Court damages of $20,685.45; Mr. and Mrs. Wolfsteiner damages of $13,944.45; Mr. and Mrs. Kozma damages of $13,537.46; Mr. and Mrs. Rosenfeldt damages of $14, 074.94; Mr. King damages of $24,293.13; and Mr. and Mrs. Partington damages of $13,738.87. The total amount of money claimed by Olson against the Correctional Service of Canada is $100,274.30. It should be pointed out that the six parents of Olsons victims that were awarded this money soon found out they could not collect from Olson because he had no money. They then filed another civil law suit against E.J. McNeney, Robert Shantz, and Joan and Clifford Olson. Mr. Justice Trainor of the B.C. Supreme Court pronounced judgement on December 7, 1984 in favor of the victims families. The judgement was as follows; "The fund (which came into existence on the 26th day of August, 1981) must be surrendered or delivered up to this court. By operation of law, it was, that day, impressed with a constructive trust to remove it from the wrongdoer and those collaborating with him. The defendants are accountable for the entire sum of $100,000.00 paid to McNeney by the R.C.M.P. and are liable for it.

If equitable tracing is necessary it would be an appropriate tool to assist in the collection process. I would not think Morrison would hesitate to return the money under his control to McNeney so that the latter could comply with this order. The reasons underlying the establishment of the fund were that it would likely result in the conviction of a mass murder, Olson, that it would bring to a conclusion a lengthy and expensive investigation, that there would be a lessening of public anxiety and that the finality would bring some solace to the parents of the murdered children. That describes the character of this fund and directs its future use. In equity, the parents of the children murdered by Clifford Olson must have a right to claim". The parents were happy that they won the case against Olson, but there were further unforseen court actions being taken to the local B.C. Court of Appeal by the defendants Joan Olson, E.J. McNeney, Robert Shantz and Clifford Olson. They appealed the Supreme Court of B.C.'s Justice Trainor. The B.C. Court of Appeal heard the case on March 11, 1986 and the court was fast in their reasons for judgement, the Honourable Justice Hinkson speaking for the Court of Appeal. In an eight page judgement the final outcome was that the judge fell in error in the way he dealt with the number of requirements to be satisfied before the principle of unjust enrichment would apply. In meeting that requirement, the families must show that they were deprived when the funds were paid to McNeney. The appeal Court went on to say on page 8, it is clear on the face of this case that the payment by the R.C.M.P. to McNeney was not made as compensation for the deaths of the children. As I have indicated it was authorized by the Attorney General primarily to obtain evidence to convict Olson of the murders of the children. The payment to McNeney did not result in any corresponding deprivation of the plaintiffs. Understood in this way it is clear that the plaintiffs have no claim to have the $100,000.00 restored to them. They had no right to claim the money from the R.C.M.P. and when that sum was paid to McNeney in trust they did not thereby become entitled to claim it upon the basis of unjust enrichment. For these reasons I would allow the appeal and dismiss the claims of the plaintiffs (families).

The money was returned from the court to McNeney but a further devastating judgement was yet coming to the parents of Olson's victims. They filed a motion for leave of appeal from the judgement of the Court of Appeal of B.C. dated March 12, 1986, this appeal motion was before the Supreme Court of Canada, the highest court in Canada. On June 23, 1986 the judgment was upheld. The court was quick to act, they delivered the final say on the $100,000.00 trust fund agreement. They dismissed the appeal of the families for leave to appeal the B.C. Court of Appeal Judgment. It may be asked of Olson what he thought of the court decision not to hear the parents appeal. Clifford Olson agrees with them fully.

Other murder Olson has knowledge of include the Green River Murders in the U.S. Olson has been given immunity from prosecution in Washington State in return for him offering to reveal the whereabouts of five bodies that were sexually raped then murdered. The U.S. authorities and the R.C.M.P. also know Olson can provide them with details of 23 more bodies in six U.S. states (Flordia, Louisiana, Oregon, California, Illinois, and New York). Olson claims he was on vacation in each of these states while on parole from the B.C. Penitentiary. This unprecedented immunity deal with Washington State Justice authorites was confirmed by Olson's trial lawyer Robert Shantz and the letter dated April 18, 1984 from lawyer Roonald Kessler attorney at law in Seattle, Washington. That letter is attached to this profile.

Olson didn't confess to the murders his lawyer stated, all he said was that he had information on the whereabouts of five murdered bodies in return for transactional immunity. Robert Shantz said Olson felt that such immnity was necessary because if he was ever extradited to face trial in the U.S. the convicted Olson could face possible execution. "Murderers can be hanged in Washington State and they have the sizzle chair down in Florida" Olson notes. Can Olson produce these bodies like he claims? Very high ranking officials believe he can, as seen by the letter of Robert Keppel, Chief Criminal Investigator of the Attorney Generals Office of the Seattle Criminal Division regarding to the Seattle Green River Murders.

An affidavit sworn and dated the 15th day of November 1988 is evidence of Olson's knowledge of murders in the U.S. and above all his knowledge of the identity of the Green River Murderer. A letter dated April 21, 1988 addressed to the Honourable Victor Atiyeh, Governor of Oregon with the attached affidavit dated April 10, 1984 seems to prove Olson does have the information he claims. Olson will not discuss the U.S. Green River killer or the murders unless he gets the deal he had tried to put together with different ambassadors evidenced by the enclosed letters to ambassadors to Switzerland and the Federal Republic of Germany. Special attention must be given to the report dated July 25, 1986 with regards to other murders Olson has knowledge of here in Canada. Unfortunately Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is backing away from any deal with Olson for political reasons. The Prime Minister thinks with regards to Olson that it is better to let people be killed or raped than make a deal with him.

Then Attorney General of Alberta the Honourable Neil Crawford received a letterdated March 25, 1983 from Olson claiming he had information pertaining to three young girls that were raped and murdered and that one of their bodies had already been recovered. Olson also sent letters to Peter Lougheed the Premier of the province of Alberta dated April 5th, 1983 concerning the three murder victims. Olson also swore an affidavit on June 29, 1983 stating that he had knowledge of the three murder victims. On instruction from the Attorney Generals office of Alberta, Corporal G.A. Gary Forbes, R.C.M.P. officer of the general investigation section of Edmonton visited Kingston Penitentiary to see Olson. Statements were written on April 14th, 1983and signed by Olson and G.A. Forbes of the R.C.M.P. pertaining to the three murdered girls. These statements cannont be made public by Olson because of the R.C.M.P.'s ongoing investigation in this matter. It can be noted, however, that one of the victims was Oahn Ngoc Ha a 19 years old Vietnamese who was then employed at the Baniff Hotel where Olson stayed.

Olson was to appear in the Vancouver City Court on a couple of charges in 1977 but as he was on parole he skipped court and left the night before for Alberta, leaving from the Vancouver Greyhound bus station with his girlfriend Evelyn. On February 28th the body of 19 year old Oahn Ngoc Ha was found on the Trans Canada Highway about 53 kilometres west of Golden B.C.

In the summer of 1978 on August 12th, 21 year old Deborah Silverman who lived in the apartment block building on Bathhurst Street in Toronto went missing. Her car was parked in the northwest corner of the lot behind the apartment block and her purse, lace trimmed panties and a broken gold necklace were found inside the back door. On Sunday Novermber 12th, 1978 her body was found in a lot on a farm at an intersection of Highway 7 at Durham Regional Road 13 in the Brock Township about 42 miles east of York. Her hands were tied behind her back with the sleeves of her blue and white shirt and her black halter top was around her neck. Her brassiere was still on but she had no shoes or underpanties on. Olson informed various people on his knowledge of Silverman's murder. He notified then Premier William Davis of Ontario by letter, Robert Rae, MPP of the N.D.P. Party of Ontario by letter dated May 9th, 1983 and David Peterson M.P.P. Liberal Leader of Ontario by letter dated May 4th, 1983. ON August 9th, 1982 Olson swore an affidavit with photos taken at the murder farm grave along with photos of Silverman being buried. In the following years up to 1988 a number of police officers interviewed Olson in Kingston Penitentiary on the Silverman case. On January 9th, 1987 in a letter to the Honourable Ian Scott, Attorney General of Ontario, Olson requested immunity from prosecution for the murder of Silverman. Olson says he was present and can name the killer and give photos. On December 9th, 1987 two detectives interviewed Olson regarding the letter he sent to Ian Scott and informed him there would be no deal. Olson now refuses to talk to any of them.

In 1988 Olson requested access to personal information under the Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act 1987. Olson accessed four seperate departmens obtaining all the information held on him. Access was also granted to alld epartments with regards to all information held on Deborah Silverman. Olson will not identify the killer of Deborah Silverman because there is no deal which will benefit him.

A profile of a serial killer can only be written by the serial killer himself. He must be truthful with himself first, and then with the facts he writes about. In my own case, I will only try to make a short profile, a profile of myself. I have not gone into the reasons why I had pleaded guilty to the murder of the eleven children in British Columbia in 1980 and 1981 and I don't feel I have to; I will save that for a mroe trained individualin those particular fields. The purpose of this profile is to be no more than a short introduction ofmyself. I have taken the reader step by step through each and ever case as to what happened in each murder. I used what took place during the murders and what was said between the children and myself. I tried to tell the facts as I recall them and have added nothing of fiction to enhance them. I also had the foresight to tape all the interviews in 1981 and 1982 with the three top psychiatrists of Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. These tapes are for my personal use and are only avialable to myself and my lawyer Robert Shantz for my own writing and for study purposes for Criminology students.

I have been currently conducting research and analyzing the lives and crimes of over 150 serial killers. I believe that there has never been an academic, university lever text book that analyzes the lives and crimes of serial killers in the United States, Canada or any other country. In my own personal study I hope people will be able to get a clear understanding on violent behaviour. Each serial killer has their own reasons as to why they murdered, but the reasons that led to the killing are not to be compared with each other as would be done in other fields of study. Once the facts are seen and provided by the killer himself, will we then be able to fully understand why they kill.

I can only speak as to why I murdered as I did. I can only put my thoughts and reasons as to the whole matter to be looked at by the professional psychiatrist and by criminologists and other trained people. In my case I hope that I may be able to shed light on the workings of a serial killer. One must remember and ask themselves, like I did, why is there no material written by the serial killer himself. The reason is simple, no serial killer wants to give up that much of himself and in most cases they have appeals proceeding though th court system which they don't want to jeopardize. Even when they are given a death sentence they will not talk about the murders because of a future chance of parole. I have never in my life read a book written by a serial killer on his own exploits. All kinds of people write about various serial killers but they can never write what the serial killer knows.

In reading this short profile on myself I wish to inform the reader that not even our famed Royal Canadian Mounted Police know what happened to those eleven children in terms of how they were murdered. Only my lawyer and I know. Only one important aspect must be brought out and that is to do with the $100,000.00 trust fund I agreed to have set up. There was no deal that made me exchange the childrens bodies for the money that was agreed on. I would never have made the deal that I did had it not been for Joan. Joan had received 28 thousand dollars from her divorce settlement and I took it and spent it. I was just taking her for a ride, as we say. Also I would not have told about the bodies and pleaded guilty if I had not fallen in love with Joan and stole her money like I did. I would be free today as is said by the Crown John Hall, my lawyer Allan Williams, former Attorney General of British Columbia.

The reasons I'm serving a life sentence is because I pleaded guilty to the charges. Had the R.C.M.P. not known I stole the money from Joan as I did, I wouldn't have mentioned the deal to get Joan's money back. Joan never knew or had any idea of the trust fund that had been put together. had she known of the deal she would have never agreed to it. In closing my profile I stand by my letter of Friday, February 5th, 1982 which I wrote to Genevieve Westcott a CBC television reporter in Vancouver as to why I pleaded guilty. This letter ran on national television and the text ran full in both the Vancouver Sun and Province newspapers as follows.

Friday, February 5th, 1982
Lower Mainland Correctional Institution,
Burnaby, B.C.

Dear Ms. Westcott:
CBC Reporter T.V. News.

Thanks you for your letter of February 2nd, 1982 that was brought in by my wife Joan on Wednesday on her visit with me. I don't give any interviews nor make any statements Genevieve, because the so-called professinal journalism reports can't put true facts together and print them as they should. I have such a volume of letters from all over the States and Canada wanting me to answer questions. I would expect of the media unequivocal, clear, chronological and unbiased reporting of true facts. Not the extreme degree of shallow, sensational, confused and biased reporting sadly typical of the new media, T.V., radio and newspapers that have been doing in my case. I am sure you Genevieve and all the true facts and trying to receive satisfactory explanations from all those involved. "I did not cause the unlawful deaths of eleven children by planned and deliberate killings." I had instructed my counsel, Robert Shantz, to ask special prosecutor John Hall if he would sign a letter starting that for my exchange of a plea of guilty, that he John Hall would not submit any evidence but the statement of facts, this Mr. Hall did, for the following reasons.

(1) I did not wish to put the parents of all the children to have to go through such emotional and physical strain and having to look at the photos of the remains and the state of their children's bodies were found.

(2) The mental and physical strain on my family and the families of the children would be extremely unbearable had I let the trial continue.

(3) The personal statements given to the R.C.M.P. by the parents of their lives would have been brought out and would have cause sor some embarrassment and disconcertion among some of the parents.

(4) The Justice McKay had the jury locked up so that they would not be able to communicate physically or by phone with their loved ones, wives, husbands, and children. This would have been for well over eight weeks.

(5) The complete exploration of the news media on all the victims families and my family and on the courts evidence would be exploited by the media for sensationalism.

(6) The whole cost of the trials and the enw trials that would be ordered by the various courts of appeal are unbelievable.

There are no words in the English language nor any other language that can express to the parents of my victims my deep emotional and sorrowful feelings of remorse I have for taking what are more precious to them, theif chilren. I know it is hard to do but I ask for forgiveness, I am terribly sorry for what I have done. What is not known is that the day before I was charged with the death of Judy Kozma, I had a two hour visit with my beloved wife Joan and my infant son Stephen. I could not stop crying during those two hours. I told my wife that I was responsible for the deaths of the children and that I could not live with myself nor have any peace of mind until I confess to what I had done and give back the bodies to their families for a proper Christian burial. I had first asked the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive me my sins, which he did (If we confess our sins, he (God) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, (1 John 1:9).

My wife told me that if I told police (R.C.M.P.) what I did, they would lock me up in jail for the rest of my life and I would in all probability be killed in jail. She said what would she tell our son when he grew up and everyone was teasing him at school for what his father had done. I told her it will be up to me to tell my son what has happened. I knew in my heart that I must give up my wife and son for the rest ofmy life. My son will have to father to call Daddy and he will grow up knowing his father for the sins he has done. And my wife will always bear my mistake for the rest of her life. She told me that I must do what is right and that she will always love me and that someday we would be n heaven together praising the Lord together.

As to your professional integrity as a journalist, and to your fairness Genevieve, I nor Joan can make any comment on. But I'm willing and capable of accepting your word. You may read this letter on C.B.C. T.V. Genevieve on my behalf, only on the condition that you do not take one word or sentence of the content out of the letter in printing or publication or reading it on radio or T.V.

Yours Truly,
Clifford Robert Olson

The Olson profile is a personal profile, it contains two inches of documents that have never been released to the public nor any of the police forces in Canada nor the U.S. The letters are from a vast number of police organizations both in Canada and the U.S. There are vast amounts of legal documents that have been accessed under the Canadian Privact Act and there is a large number of letters to the present Federal members of Parliament, the Prime Minsiter of Canada and Ambassadors from 17 countries. There are the Coroner's reports on inquiries into the murders of the eleven children. There are reports from the correctional service Canada containing confidential information with regards to an attempt to force a political confrontation if Mr. Mulroney refuses to deal with Olson. See reports dated 86-07-28. There are the Canadian security intelligence services letters and the letter dated 03-15-88 from then Lt. Dan J. Nolan Operations Commander of the Green River Task Force in Seattle Washington which by letter of April 18, 1984 from Ronald Kessler on Olson being granted conditional immunity from prosecution by the Attorney General of Washington State in regards to numerous homcides in Washington State.

The two affidavits of Lawyers Robert Shantz and James McNeney are to be paid very special attention to. The two-inch file shold be read in complete conjunction with the profile. One can go on and on in this matter but the reader must remember that this is only a short profile of me. This is only a short insight as to who Clifford Olson is. I have not gone into what I'vebeen doing here since I came to the Kingston Penitentiary in February of 1982. In a short summation of my profile one must remember that it is my story, written by me alone.

Name: Clifford Robert Olson

Height: 5'7"

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Weight: 159 pounds

Religion: Roman Catholic

Birthdate: January 1st, 1940

Birthplace: St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, V.C. at 10:10pm

Turn-on's: Being with someone I love, Jesus Christ, music, sexy women, champagne, sports, reading, philosophizing, writing, poetry, drawing, studying, learning law, being able to preach the message of God, having faith, hope and love, talking politics.

Turn-off's: Being hurt by people you love, lies and deceitfulness, swearing, obnoxious people, drugs, procrastination, people who are proud, selfish and rude, injustice, grudges.

Favorite Color: Red

Favorite Flower: Rose

Favorite Sports: Boxing, track and field, skiing, softball, hockey, swimming, skating, horse racing, tennis and soccer.

Favorite Games: Chess and bridge

Hobbies: Writing, poetry, drawing, model air-planes, reading, watching movies, going to the beach and writing personal reflections and essays.

Favorite Movies: American Graffiti, Doctor Zhivago, Jaws, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, The Exorcist, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek, High Noon, Stalag 17, On the Waterfront, The Bridge on the River Kwai, I Want to Live, Ben-Hur, West Side Story, To Kill a Mockingbird, Airport, The French Connection, Kramer vs. Kramer, Chariots of Fire, Places in the Heart, The Killing Fields.

Favorite T.V. Programs: Highway to Heaven, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, 60 Minutes, Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, Super Bowl, Bob Hope, Dallas, ABC Sunday Night Movies, NHL Hockey, Deauty and the Beast, Smothers Brothers, National Journal, Equalizer, Austin City Limits, Mystery, Disney Movies.

Favorite Magazines: National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Time, Playboy, Club International, Life.

Favorite Records: Me and Bobby McGee/Janis Joplin, The Great Pretender/ The Platters, Chantilly Lace/ The Big Bopper, Johnny B. Goode/Chuck Berry, Green Onions/ Booker T. and the MG's, Proud Mary and all other Creedence Clearwater Revival songs, Blueberry Hill/Fats Domino, Like a Rolling Stone/ and most other Bob Dylan Songs, Wake Up Little Suzie/ Everly Brothers, Rock Around the Clock/ Bill Haley and the Comets, That'll Be the Day/ Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Stairway to Heaven/Led Zeppelin. Oh Pretty Woman/Roy Orbison, Stagger Lee/Lloyd Price, Satisfaction/ The Rolling Stones, Bridge Over Trouble Water/ Simon and Garfunkel, Your So Vain/Carley Simon, Maggie Mae/Rod Stewar, Be-Bob-A-Lula/Gene Vincent, Heart of Gold/Neil Young, Don't Be Cruel/and a few other Elvis songs.

Favorite Male Actors: Charles Broonson, Jack Palance, Donald Sutherland, Lee Marvin, Stacy Keach, Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood, Lee Majors, James Corburn, Marlon Brando, Chuck Norris, David Carradine, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Favorite Female Actors: Suzanne Sommers, Pia Zadora, Heather Locklear, Angie Dickinson, Goldie Hawn, Sissy Spacek, Yvette Mimieux, Kim Basinger, Cheryl Tiegs, Cheryl Ladd, Cher, Sandra Dee, Brigitte Bardot, Tina Turner, Farrah Fawcett, Lindsay Wagner.

Favorite Comedy Actors: Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, Rich Little, Buddy Hackett, Jay Leno, Gary Shandling, Johnny Carson, Billy Cosby.

Favorite Cars: Porsche-928-S, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Ford Mustang.

Favorite Basketball Team: Boston Celtics

Favorite National League Team: Los Angeles Dodgers

Favorite American League Team: California

Favorite Fruits: Bing cherries, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, peaches, blueberries, grapes.

Favorite Candies: Fudge, toffee, Crispy Crunch bars, pop corn.

Favorite Desserts: Banana cream pie, ice-cream, milk shakes, oatmeal cookies.

Favorite Sandwich: Lettuce and tomato, club house.

Favorite Breakfasts: Bacon and eggs turned over, cream of wheat, puff wheat.

Favorite Fish: Alaska black cod, salmon.

Favorite Foods: Filet mignon steak medium, pork chops, meat loaf, corn on the cob, cottage cheese, peas, I like all vegetables except asparagus and spinach, chocolate milk, coffee with cream and sugar.

Favorite Miscellaneous: Cream of corn soup, coca cola, jelly beans, candies of all kinds.

Favorite Drink: Dom Perigon, Chivas Regal Blended Scotch Whiskey with Seven-Up, Screwdrivers with Smirnoff Vodka, my favorite cocktails are, Singapore Slink: Gin, Lemon Juice, Orange Juice, Cherry Brandy, Grenadine. Marguerita: Salted rim, tequila, triple sec, lime juice. Tom Collins: Gin, Lemon Juice, soda. Black Forest: Vodka, Cherry Brandy, Seven-Up, whipped cream, Khalua.

My Favorite Perfume For The Lady: Opium, Joy, Obsession.

Favorite Places: Vancouver, Honolulu, Hawaii, Disneyland and Disneyworld.

Favorite Musicians: Rolling Stones, Bobby Gentry, Rita Coolidge, Loretta Lynn, Joan Baez, Patsy Cline, Connie Francis, Crystal Gayle, Keith Richards, Kris Kristofferson, Peter Frampton, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton.

Ideal Woman: Sensitive, to be treated with respect, as an equal. A Christian woman. To have truly a good woman you have to believe she is more precious than all the gems in the world. She has to be truthful and trustful and must be able to satisfy my needs. She has to be a very kind individual who is also sympathetic, tender, warm, gentle, tolerant, good tempered, confident, very charitable and a humanitarian and most of all have all the love of God.

Biggest Joy: The birth of my son, Stephen.

Favorite Pastime: Reminiscing on past experiences and events, listening to rock and roll and country music from the years 1955-1969 and reading and studying the bible.

Favorite Pets: My dog Penny, cats and horses.

Favorite Political Party: I have never voted in any Federal Election or in any Provincial Election.

The Best Thing About Sex Is: The whole joy of sex with love is that there are no rules, so long as you enjoy it, and the choice is practically unlimited. Uninhibited partners will tell each other about their fantasies (try free-associating just before orgasm if you are shy). Really communicting partners look for them and put them on the menu unannounced, there is no more complete communication. Women probably differ sexually more than men. Never assume that you don't need to relearn for each person. Planning and thinking about sex to come is part of love, so is lying together in complete luxury afterwards. You don't get high quality sex without love and feedback. Feedback means that perfect mixture of stop and go, tough and tender, exertion and affection.

There are only two guidelines in good sex. Don't do anything you don't really enjoy and find out your partners needs and don't balk them if you can help it. The bed is the right place to play all the games you ever will want to play. This is essential to a full, enterprising and healthy immature view of sex between committed people. Take off your shell along with your clothes. A womans greatest assest after her beauty is her natural perfume. It comes from her hair, skin, breats, armpits, and genitals. The smell and feel of a man's skin probably has more to do with sexual attraction than any other single feature. We must learn to use the whole of our skin surface, our feelings of identity, aggression and so on, and how to express them in bed. We must find out someone elses needs and your own will prove to be rewarding, interesting, and educational when it comes to finding out what love is all about. Sex should be wholly satisfying, like between two affectionate people from which they emerge unanxious, rewarded and ready for more.

Clifford Robert Olson
Kingston Penitentiary
June 1989
PO Box 22
Kingston, Ontario
K7L 4V7